Let's recap everything that we have learnt so far about IELTS Writing Task 2.
Here's a check list for Writing Task 2. Follow this check list and you are guaranteed to score Band 7+ in IELTS Writing.
- First off, read & understand the topic of the essay for Writing Task 2.
- Identify all the key parts of the question.
- Brainstorm and organize your ideas to ensure that each of your ideas is fully explained and well supported with examples.
- If the question asks for your opinion, make sure you state it clearly and you don’t contradict that view throughout the rest of the essay.
- Learn the structure of an essay: Introduction , body paragraphs, conclusion
- Do not copy the question word for word for your introduction or else those words will be deducted from your total word count. Instead always paraphrase the question in your own words.
- You MUST write a conclusion/overview at the end. Don’t add new information in your conclusion. Instead, rephrase your key points, and give a strong ending sentence that ties everything together.
- Always write in a formal tone and use it consistently throughout the essay.
- Do not use bullet points or short notes.
- Use a wide range of grammatical structures and vocabulary.
- Remember to follow the 4 C's of essay writing.
- Practice and learn synonyms so your writing has a range of vocabulary and does not become repetitive.
- Write at least 250 words. Anything less, you will lose marks.Ideally the essay should be about 250-280 words.
- Write neatly, as the person who is marking your essay should be able to easily read and understand what you have written.
- Do Task 2 first, as it is worth twice as much as Task 1, so priority should be placed here.
Practice makes perfect. Write as many practice essays as you can, and have them marked by an English teacher for mistakes.
- Practice timing yourself at home, and stick to the allotted time for each section. During the real test, bring a watch and manage your time carefully.
- Check your writing. If you finish with extra time, look over your essay for any spelling, grammar, or other mistakes you might find.
Here are some more tips and strategies for improving your band score in IELTS writing:
Click on the playlist below to start learning NOW!
Writing Task 2
Popular Essay Topics for Writing Task 2
Topics for IELTS writing task 2 are usually related to some issue or problem that is currently affecting society and you need to discuss it. In recent IELTS exams, topics have mostly dealt with:
- Animal rights
- The Internet
Share These Writing Tips With Your Friends
Nice .. You're An IELTS Writing Ninja ;)
No one can stop you from scoring Band 7+ in IELTS writing. Well Done!!!
Take a breather before marching on to the next module.
Have questions or comments about this lesson or any other lesson add a comment below.